Summer is upon us, and that means FUN…but we want that fun to not be ruined by painful sunburns.
Most sunscreens on the market contain ingredients that aren’t very healthy to our skin and bodies. Even the so-called “natural” sunscreens may have some hormone-disrupting chemicals.
I personally try to avoid sunscreen all together, but there are some occasions where I might be out in the sun for an extended time and need a little extra protection, especially at the beach!
There are actually many ingredients that have a natural SPF; I can’t make claims about a higher SPF using combinations. Also, keep in mind your finished product will vary on the amount of each ingredient used.
- Coconut Oil– SPF 4-6
- Red Raspberry Seed Oil SPF 25-50
- Shea Butter SPF 4-6
- Carrot Seed Oil SPF 35-40
- Zinc Oxide SPF 2-20 varies on amount used
- Almond Oil SPF 5
Homemade Natural Sunscreen
1/2 cup carrier oil (almond, apricot, avocado, carrot seed, jojoba, fractionated coconut oil)
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup beeswax
2 TB shea butter
1 teaspoon vitamin E (to help preserve it)
2 Tablespoons Zinc oxide: non-nano, uncoated, not micronized (this won’t be absorbed into the skin).
1 teaspoon Carrot Seed Oil (optional)
1 teaspoon Red Raspberry Seed Oil (optional)
Essential Oils (optional)
- Place the coconut oil, carrier oil, beeswax, shea butter, and vitamin E in a double boiler and simmer it on low till the ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and carefully whisk in the zinc oxide (do not inhale) and pour into a small jar or tin that you are storing in! I like small mason jars, I don’t recommend a bottle with a pump!
- Stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is completely mixed.
- Apply as you would regular sunscreen. It will need to be reapplied after swimming. Best if used within six months.
- If you omit the zinc oxide it makes a great lotion or even easier, just add 2 TB of zinc oxide to your favorite natural lotion for a quick sunscreen. Make sure your lotion is not infused with citrus oils.
I know not everyone is into making your own sunscreen or you may not have the time, so here is a brand that offers a great natural option.