Hey mama…no matter the season, ensuring proper hydration during pregnancy is a daily essential! Did you know that even if you’re drinking a lot of water, dehydration might still sneak up on you? It turns out, staying adequately hydrated is key to supporting a healthy pregnancy.
Our bodies crave electrolytes, including crucial trace minerals, to absorb water effectively. Simply chugging water might lead to flushing out essential electrolytes like sodium, potassium, magnesium, and other trace minerals. These minerals are vital for our bodies to function optimally, especially during the miraculous journey of pregnancy.
In the intricate dance of pregnancy, trace minerals play a starring role in supporting various bodily functions. From aiding in the development of your baby’s bones and tissues to helping regulate fluid balance and nerve function, these minerals are the unsung heroes of a healthy pregnancy.
Beyond the discomfort, dehydration during pregnancy comes with significant risks. It can lead to unnecessary contractions, potentially contributing to preterm labor. Dehydration may also increase the risk of urinary tract infections, which can have implications for both you and your baby. Staying hydrated becomes a protective measure against these potential complications.
Consider elevating your hydration game by incorporating specific minerals into your routine:
1. Sea Salt for Optimum Hydration: Adding a pinch of sea salt to your water or meals can enhance hydration by providing a natural source of sodium. This helps maintain fluid balance and supports cellular hydration.
2. Potassium Citrate for Electrolyte Balance: Include potassium-rich foods or supplements to ensure electrolyte balance. Potassium Citrate, found in fruits like bananas, can be a tasty addition to your diet.
3. Magnesium Citrate for Heart Health and Energy Boost: Magnesium Citrate not only supports heart muscles but also helps boost energy levels. Consider incorporating magnesium-rich foods or supplements into your daily routine.
To truly embrace the beauty of pregnancy, let’s make hydration a mindful ritual that includes replenishing those vital trace minerals. Incorporate hydrating snacks like water-rich fruits, coconut water, or electrolyte-infused beverages containing sea salt, potassium citrate, and magnesium citrate.
Hydration as a Form of Self-Care:
Pregnancy is a journey deserving of self-care and attention. Hydration becomes a form of self-love, ensuring you and your little one get the essential nutrients, including trace minerals, needed for a vibrant and healthy pregnancy. Celebrate each sip as a moment of connection with your growing baby.
Tips for Optimal Pregnancy Hydration:
1. Set a hydration goal based on your weight, drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
2. Include dōTERRA’s Recharge electrolytes as part of your daily routine.
3. Consider adding sea salt, potassium-rich foods, and magnesium-rich options to your diet.
4. Carry a reusable water bottle to remind yourself to drink regularly.
5. Experiment with herbal teas for a soothing and hydrating alternative.
I like to have an unflavored electrolyte drink first thing in the morning. Here’s my easy peasy recipe.
- 1/2 – tesp cream of tartar (250 mg potassium)
- 1/4 – tesp salt ➳ 572 mg
- 1/4 -1 tesp magnesium calm
- 1 dropper full of liquid Trace minerals
I make a pint size jar (multiplying the proportions above) so it’s easy to just get one tsp. and put in 32oz of water every morning. (I add the dropper of liquid trace minerals separately).
Cheers to a hydrated and vibrant pregnancy journey!